One dead after residential carbon monoxide leak in Jefferson Twp.

By Tony Wittkowski | Business Reporter | The Herald-Palladium

EDWARDSBURG — One man died and five people suffered injuries Friday in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Cass County, the Cass County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Cass County Central Dispatch at 5:30 a.m. heard from a caller who felt dizzy, faint and exhibited shortness of breath. Life Care ambulance was dispatched to the home along Indigan Lane in Jefferson Township. Upon arrival, deputies found multiple victims suffering from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sheriff Joseph Underwood Jr. said medics checked the house and found five family members inside.

Elizabeth Weston-Hammang, 41, David Hammang, 46, and three children ranging from 3 to 5 years old, all suffered from poisoning. These five family members had been on the first and second floors of the house.

Medics found Andrew Weston, a 43-year-old from Columbus, Ind., in a basement bedroom. He was unresponsive and pronounced dead on scene.

A Cass County medical examiner investigator was called to the residence and an autopsy is pending to confirm the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Weston was found near the suspected source of the poisoning, police say.

The initial investigation indicated the source may have been an enclosed pool heating/boiler system. The pool room and equipment room is attached to the basement.

Underwood said the investigation is ongoing.

Columbus Indiana Police assisted in notifying Weston’s wife, Jennifer, of his death.

Edwardsburg Fire Department responded to the scene and cleared the residence of the carbon monoxide by venting the house.

Life Care Ambulance was assisted on scene by Edwardsburg Ambulance and SMCAS Ambulance. The Hammang family was transported to hospitals in South Bend.

Contact Tony Wittkowski at twittkowski@TheHP.com or (269) 932-0358. Follow him on Twitter: @tonywittkowski.

(Author’s Note: This article was originally published on Feb. 6, 2016)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s