I’m a journalist and writer at heart. Living the dream by getting paid to write. Ever since I began work with The Montage in high school, I have been fascinated by the world of journalism. Graduated from Central Michigan University with a Bachelor’s Degree of Science with a major in Journalism (concentration in News Editorial) and a minor in English (concentration in Creative Writing). I was a part of a Pacemaker-winning newspaper in 2013 and 2014, and placed twice in the Michigan Press Association’s category for feature writing and investigative reporting.
– THE HERALD-PALLADIUM –
- I currently write for The Herald-Palladium, where I write articles and shoot photos as a business reporter for the Benton Harbor-St. Joseph area. Articles included coverage of business, agriculture, education, city hall, government and Whirlpool Corp. Other aspects to the job include enterprising stories, budgeting for the Sunday business section, creating photo assignments and running a beat. The Herald-Palladium covers St. Joseph and the surrounding communities of Berrien, Cass and Van Buren Counties such as St. Joseph Township, Benton Harbor, Benton Township, Lincoln Township, Stevensville and Bridgman. It is a nearly 18,000-circulation, daily newspaper and 27,000-circulation paper for Sunday issues located in St. Joseph, Mich. The newspaper is owned by Paxton Media Group, Inc. and is printed in St. Joseph, Mich.
– THE TIMES HERALD –
- Worked for The Times Herald, where I wrote articles, shot photos and edited video as a city reporter and local government reporter for the Port Huron area. Articles included coverage of city hall, festivals, government and public events. Other aspects to the job include enterprising stories, budgeting for the newspaper, creating photo assignments and running a beat. The Times Herald covers Port Huron and the surrounding communities of St. Clair County such as Port Huron Township, Marysville, Clay Township, Fort Gratiot, St. Clair and Marine City. It is a nearly 28,000-circulation, daily newspaper and 36,000-circulation paper for Sunday issues located in Port Huron, Mich. The newspaper is owned by Gannett Publishing and is printed in Detroit, Mich.
– MUSKEGON CHRONICLE –
- Worked for Muskegon Chronicle, where I wrote articles, posted stories online and occasionally shot photos as a general assignments reporter. Articles written included any breaking news, crime, education, entertainment, art and public events. Other duties included enterprising stories and taking photos for not only mine, but other reporter’s stories. While there I not only worked during the day, but also covered night and weekend shifts, manning the police scanner for breaking news. The Chronicle covers Muskegon and the surrounding communities of Muskegon County such as North Muskegon, Fruitport, Hesperia, Muskegon Heights, Montague and White Lake. It is a nearly 50,000-circulation, daily newspaper located in Muskegon, Mich. The newspaper is owned by Booth newspapers and published in Walker, Mich.
– CENTRAL MICHIGAN LIFE –
- Wrote for Central Michigan Life, my college newspaper, for four years. While there I held several positions that included staff reporter, senior reporter, columnist, metro editor and managing editor. I covered several topics and beats that included cops, courts, crime, business, facilities management, the student government association and city council. Duties also included working social media for the newspaper, reading copy, planning for stories, features and design aspects of the paper. I would also take photo and edit video/multimedia pieces. CM Life covers university news, education, sports and campus events in Mount Pleasant, Mich. It is distributed three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with a circulation of 13,500. The newspaper is owned and published by Central Michigan University.
– THE LOWELL LEDGER –
- Interned for The Lowell Ledger, where I read copy, wrote stories and handled online postings weekly. After working there for four months, I continued to write as a stringer for another year. I started the Twitter account for the newspaper and continued to run it while interning there. I also started a movie review during my time there, which became a popular fixture among readership. Stories written included business exclusives, profile features and updates on city council. Other duties included enterprising stories and taking photos for not only mine, but other reporter’s stories. The Ledger covers Lowell and the surrounding communities of Kent County such as Alto and Ada. It is published once a week on Wednesdays with a circulation of 3,000. Their publisher is under J-Ad Graphics in Hastings, Mich.
– THE SUN AND NEWS –
- Also freelanced for The Sun and News for two weeks. Was able to cover city council and high school graduation events. While there, my duties included writing on deadline, taking photos and travel. In my duration with the newspaper, I covered senior tea which included a large photo package where I edited and toned them. This newspaper covers local news, sports, business, government, jobs and community events in both Caledonia and Middleville, Mich. It is distributed once a week on Saturdays with a circulation of 13,025. Coverage also extends out to Grand Rapids and the Cutlerville area. Their publisher is under the umbrella of J-Ad Graphics in Hastings, Mich.
If anyone has a story idea within their area or would like to hire a freelancer, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Google+ by searching my full name.